Carolina Cares: Need Help or Want to Know How to Help?
Now more than ever, local businesses and restaurants around Charlotte and the Carolinas need our help. We will be compiling a list of local businesses that are operating on limited hours and restaurants that will offer delivery, pickup or gift cards during the pandemic. If you know a local business that is open, encourage them to reach out to us (form available here). Check back often as the list will be updated.
You can also help out organizations providing warm meals, school supplies and more around Charlotte and the Carolinas. See how you can help these organizations below:
- The American Red Cross is currently facing a severe blood shortage during this coronavirus outbreak.
- Healthy blood and platelet donors are asked to make an appointment to give now. Learn more here.
- Bags of Hope welcomes volunteers and donations at their Lake Norman location
- Sponsor a meal for Charlotte's Community Matters cafe. You can also send letters of hope and encouragement. Learn more here
- The track has scheduled donation drives for May 6th and May 8th to assist in providing a stable blood supply for patients in need.
- To ensure all participants have the opportunity to donate, donations will be done by appointment. Details on how to schedule appointments can be found here
- The foundation’s new COVID-19 Relief Fund will support critical needs of families and students and extend academic instruction during the closure. Learn more and donate here
- In partnership with Mecklenburg County, the City of Charlotte, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools, corporations, houses of faith and others, the COVID-19 Response Fund helps those most in need through the support of nonprofit organizations.Learn more and donate here
- Formerly known as the Mooresville Soup Kitchen, Feed NC welcomes volunteers to deliver meals to people who are home-bound.
- You can also donate toiletries for Blessing Bags. Learn more here
- Want to provide a warm meal to our truck drivers? Donate to a local GoFundMe page here to support the cause!
- The follow items are needed: face shields, surgical masks, N95 NIOSH rated face masks, isolation /surgical gowns, approved hand sanitizers, germicidal wipes, handmade masks wipes and sprays. Get more info here
- Join Joe Bonamassa and Keeping the Blues Alive Foundation in supporting touring musicians prevented from making a living due to COVID-19. This initiative is designed to support musicians by providing immediate financial assistance for essential living expenses and pre-paid gas cards to help them get back on the road when it is safe.Donate now at https://bit.ly/FuelingMusicians
- All programs have been suspended, both in classrooms and on the TowneBank Opportunity HQ campus. To support Junior Achievement with a gift, click here. To find virtual resources during this time, click here.
- While farmers, bottlers and shelf-stockers in the dairy community are working tirelessly to get milk onto everyone’s table, food banks are experiencing a significant and immediate increase in need for nutritious foods to make sure millions of people have access to the food they need. From now until April 30, your donation will put essentials, like milk, in the hands of people who need it most – and this month, America’s milk companies will match every dollar donated at www.milklife.com/give to Feeding America up to $100,000 to help ensure even more families receive the nutrition they deserve.
- The group is raising money to give high-quality, well-balanced meals to the homeless. Donate here
- The Carolina Panthers will raise funds and awareness for The Salvation Army Boys & Girls Clubs as part of the NFL’s virtual “Draft-A-Thon,” a three-day virtual fundraiser to support those impacted by COVID-19.Panthers fans from across the country are encouraged to donate April 23-25 at NFL.com/relief to support
- In response to a nationwide shortage of personal protective equipment (PPE) for medical staff on the frontlines of the fight against COVID-19, a coalition of private and non-profit organizations have banded together to launch Protecting People Everywhere, an initiative powered by the HealthEquip™ app through which PPE donors and their donations can be matched with potential recipients. The app ensures the equitable distribution of critical PPE and other medical supplies to the places they are needed most. The coalition includes the American Hospital Association (AHA), Kaiser Permanente, Kearney, Merit Solutions, Microsoft, and UPS. Learn more, donate PPE or request PPE here.
- The Community Cafe is seeking monetary donations and volunteers to assist with their Charlotte food truck. Learn more here
- The Loyalist Market, along with other local businesses, is raising money to provide free lunches to Charlotte-area kids
Click here to find out more ways to give back to the Charlotte community!
Check out these free or discounted services throughout the community
- Amgen and the Amgen Foundation announced an initial commitment of up to $12.5 million to support U.S. and global relief efforts to address critical needs in communities, including local emergency response efforts and patient-focused organizations, impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Free online learning programs supported by the Amgen Foundation are also available to help students across the globe continue their science education during school closures, including LabXchange™ and Khan Academy's online learning website.
- Atlantic Wraps and the Stallings Police Department are providing car seat sanitizing free of charge! First responder vehicles will be complimentary also, by appointment. All disinfectants and sanitizers are registered with the FDA and the EPA for public safety. This will be done at the Atlantic Wraps facility located in Matthews at 4108 Matthews Indian Trail Road 28104. Get more info here
- Buckhead Meats of North Carolina is offering a meat sale to the public on Wednesdays and Fridays between 10 am-2 pm with first responders having first access from 9-10 am. Buckhead Meat of NC is located at 3516 Green Park Circle Charlotte, NC 28217. See a list of menu items & get more info here
- Looking for a job? Check out the upcoming career fairs in Concord, Greensboro and other cities throughout the Carolinas! Click here for more info
- Keep an eye out for family meal specials like cajun jambalaya with chicken and pork sausage, sautéed peppers, and green beans, plus cookies, for just $24, feeding a family of six! Limited quantities available, so check here for their latest specials and place your order now by emailing email@example.com
- Because the Good Feet team is committed to doing everything possible to provide superior services and products that meet real needs and provide lasting value, The Good Feet Store is providing special offers, including discounts for those in the medical field and first responders, as well as enhanced financing options. To schedule a virtual fitting and to take advantage of the special offers, please call 1-800-NEW-FEET
- Hampton Inn and Hilton Inn are offering medical professionals discounted rates at their properties. Enjoy a one-night stay for $99 or an extended stay (7-days or more) for $79 a night. Contact Ashlee Mione Shadwick at 954-290-3029 or at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
- If you have diabetes, Roche Diabetes Care is offering free shipping to get your essential diabetes testing supplies, especially if you’re staying indoors. Accu-Chek glucose monitors, test strips, lancing devices and lancets are available online at accu-chek.com with free home delivery.
- SPAN Enterprises will be giving out prepackaged meals to truck drivers that have been keeping goods and supplies going in the supply chain during COVID-19. Meals will be given at the rest area on I-77 Southbound, mile marker 66, near Richburg, SC, on Saturday, March 28th at 11 am!
- Customers can visit any participating Steak ‘n Shake drive-thru and request an order of French fries – on the house. Completely free, no caveats. A thank you from the Steak ‘n Shake family for sticking together by remaining apart.
- Waiter's Choice is offering meals for a family of four for just $25 plus free delivery! Choose from nine entree options and pick two sides. Dinner rolls included. Call 704-393-0009 or email email@example.com. Get more info here